Monday, May 30, 2011

Storm Survival Tactics

2011 has become the most devastating year in the US  for tornado's. Hundreds have been killed and 1000's injured, and many more have been left homeless for days or even weeks. The key to surviving a tornado is being prepared. Planning in advance will save your life and that of your family. There is plenty of information on locating a safe place in your home, and experts in this area have put out tons of information, so I am not going to get into that part of storm survival. What I want to talk about is preparing for the aftermath. I haven't seen much information on that so here it is.

I have a back pack put together that I can grab in a seconds notice and take it with me. It is commonly called a bug out bag, and I have filled with what I think I will need to survive for a day or two my area. Here is what I keep in it. First and foremost is a way to get help to me if I am injured. I have a PLB, Personal Locator Beacon, that I can activate. It sends out a radio signal so rescuers can find me. My choice for this is called a SPOT, it operates on both satellite and on phone signals. I also have my cell phone with me. After that I have a small first aid kit, with two bags of  Qwik Clot, a blood clotting agent for major injuries, 2 survival blankets, small axe, sportsman's saw, knife, portable water purifying straw, fire starting tools, flashlight and a dozen sports bars. I also a have a roll of toilet paper and some wet clothes to clean up with.

Depending on where you live, you might want to have some area specific tools, like a snake bite kit. In any event having a bug out kit, just might save your life, your children, or your neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment