Thursday, August 11, 2011

Survival Notes

I have been helping people put to together survival kits, now sometimes referred to as bug out bags, for many years. Most of the people I deal with are those that are going hunting or hiking into a wilderness area and as a result of my expertise in firearms, I have done gunsmithing for many years, I got involved in survival kits. I also have hunted in many wilderness areas and was a police officer in a metro area for many years, and  made survival in the wilderness or in a emergency situation a hobby I have studied for about 30 years.

Before I get into the subject today, I will do my usual preaching. The first thing that should go into your kit is a PLB. Personal Locator Beacon. Nuff said.

Two of the items I always recommend and never see it recommended anywhere else, is a bastard file and a rat tail file. You can buy them both at your local hardware store for about 5 bucks. Together they weigh only a couple of ounces, but they can do wonders for you. They can sharpen a dull knife or hatchet,  used as saw, cut metal, start a fire, used as a weapon, open padlocks and on and on and on. For the few ounces they take up in your kit, throw them in.




No comments:

Post a Comment