Sunday, October 9, 2011

PSA Tests, from a cancer survivor.

Recently the government came out with another absurd medical recommendation. They said PSA tests don't save lives and are not accurate in determining prostate cancer for healthy men. Well, I disagree. I have never had a serious illness in my life and no history of prostate cancer in my family. I went to the doctor to get an annual physical. Everything checked out fine again, and then my doctor asked me if I had ever had a PSA test. I had never had one so my doctor recommended one. The results came back with a PSA score of 8.8. I was immediately referred to a urologist and after several tests was told it did not look good at all. My Gleason score was very high and the Doctor said I probably had prostate cancer for several years. He ruled out all treatment except the possibility of surgery, which he didn't hold out much hope.

Well the bottom line is, when he operated, he was able to get all the cancer. I went back to him once for post operation check up. He told me I was very lucky my doctor decided to do a PSA test, as we caught the cancer before it metastasized to my internal organs. He told me honestly he didn't expect my life expectancy was more than 6 months when he first saw me. I am now cancer free, and get a PSA test every 6 months. All have been normal.

I think recommendation for men not to get a PSA test is nuts, and I think everyone should get one yearly and this is from a person whose PSA test saved his life.

Ken Kjer



No comments:

Post a Comment