Saturday, October 6, 2012

The latest from Not Such a Dumb Jock, Chris Kluwe (of the Vikings)

The latest from Not Such a Dumb Jock, Chris Kluwe (of the Vikings), in the PiPress: “After my comments on Twitter about the debate (I called it a waste of time since the system itself is flawed and neither candidate seems interested in fixing it) several people wrote to me asking what solutions I would offer. Not being one to back down from sharing my thoughts, here they are!
Campaign Finance Reform
1) Repeal Citizens United. Corporations are not “people,” the people that compose corporations are “people.” People already have the opportunity to donate money. The day a corporation serves in the military or is tried in court for murder (and receives the same penalties and judgements as everyone else) is the day I’ll argue corporations are “people.”
2) Create a common pool of money from all donations submitted that is then divided equally amongst all candidates. Place a ceiling on how much can be drawn for each stage of the political race; any extra goes towards paying down the debt. Politics is not about which side has the richest backers to influence votes through advertisements, it’s about discussing issues and their solutions. . . .
3) Full disclosure of financial documents and work history. Currently you have to show more financials to buy a car than to run for office. If I can run a background check on a nanny to watch my kids I damn well better be able to learn the pertinent information about someone who will be crafting policies that affect them.” Not bad. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment