Monday, June 27, 2011

Kid hooks northern, musky grabs northern ...

, TwinCities.com
At age 15, Mitchell Heilman of Shoreview didn't just get an early start on catching a leg-sized musky. He also has a great story to tell. In my experience, it's far more frequent for such a turn of events to result in a great story -- but not a landed fish.
Heilman musky.JPG (Photo by 11-year-old Danny Heilman)
Here's how dad Rich Heilman tells it:
"My sons and I were fishing for northerns on Big Mantrap Lake in Hubbard County, MN when my son Mitchell caught an 18-inch northern. Then, on the way to the boat, the muskie grabbed the northern and refused to let go. It took my son about 5 minutes to get him close enough to the boat for me to get him in the net. As I lifted him out of the water the net bent in a 90 degree angle but held together while I got him in the boat. Mitchell knew that the muskie was not hooked and was concerned about him letting the northern go so he wanted me to net him as fast as I could. It was very exciting and, as you can imagine, a lot of yelling was going on. We released him and I will get a replica made for my son."

http://blogs.twincities.com/outdoors/2011/06/kid-catches-northern-musky-gra.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment