Saturday, June 25, 2011

Now this is Incredible!!!

Live ammo used at Wild West show!!!!!!
PIERRE, S.D. - Carrol Knutson already knew that it was a real bullet that shattered her fibula while she watched a mock Old West gun battle in Hill City, S.D., on June 17. And on Friday, authorities confirmed that.
"I had no doubt that that was going to be the findings," Knutson said Friday evening from her home in Birchwood, near White Bear Lake.
Two other tourists also were wounded when one of the participants in the show fired live ammunition instead of using blanks.
Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said one member of the re-enactor group fired four live rounds during the show. He said investigators will give information to state and federal prosecutors next week to determine whether criminal charges will be filed.
"I would hope there is something," Knutson said of possible charges. "Obviously it is negligent behavior."
More than 100 people attended the show staged by the Dakota Wild Bunch re-enactors, who perform several times a week in Hill City, a tourist town in the Black Hills. On its Facebook page, the group has said its members are not allowed to bring live rounds to performances.
Knutson, 65, who attended the show with her husband, Don, and their grandson Jake, 13, said she's healing, but "it's going to be a long recovery. I'm not happy because my summer is passing me by here. I love my gardening and we love our traveling. We can't do any of that now because I can't walk."
The Knutsons were six days into a two-week vacation and planned to take their grandson white-water rafting on the Shoshone River, the same place they took his father when he was a boy.
"I feel bad for my grandson. He was so looking forward to it. We were all looking forward to that a lot," Knutson said with a sigh. "Maybe next year."
The simulated gun battles have been suspended until the investigation is complete.
ASSOCIATED PRESS, PAT PHEIFER

 

No comments:

Post a Comment